In-house Career Services
Our in-house Director of Career Services is committed to securing the return on investment that you deserve. You can look forward to a variety of programs and services:
- Weekly programming, including on-campus recruitment by different employers
- Career mentors-in-residence outlining how to gain a foothold in their industries
- Annual Career Conference
- Weekly jobs and internship digest that is geared to our Computation students
- Individual and small group career advising
- Career workshops on building a network, informational interviewing, resume and cover letters, and interview and negotiation strategies.
We expect our graduates to compete for top-tier PhD admission, or to pursue professional work in which the application of computationally-assisted research will be of tremendous value in many fields.
Although this MA program is new, we draw on the same resources, placement experience, and successful programming that have been enormously successful for other UChicago MA students. Our Director of Career Services, for example, also leads our career services team in the MA Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS) and the Committee on International Relations (CIR), two companion MA programs in the Division of the Social Sciences.
To take MAPSS as a point of comparison, 69 of 77 (90%) MAPSS graduates received funded PhD offers in 2017, including 18 admitted for doctoral study at the University of Chicago.
Professional placement out of MAPSS has been just as impressive, with 88% reporting as “satisfied" or "very satisfied" with their first employment offer after earning the MA degree. Those offers came from a wide range of employers.
We have every reason to believe that our placement success with Computation will be the same, and will marshal our resources to achieve these outcomes.
If you have questions about Career Services, please contact Shelly L. Robinson, Director of Career Services, at Shelly.Robinson@uchicago.edu.