BA/MA Degree Requirements
(for current UChicago College students)
Qualified students in the College who wish to pursue a joint BA/MA degree should consult first with their College Adviser, then with the Assistant Dean of Students for Admissions in the Division of the Social Sciences (Lindsey Weglarz).
Any questions about MACSS can be directed to our Student Affairs Administrator (Sabrina Biggus).
- Applications are due by February 1st (priority deadline) and read on a rolling basis through April 30th (final deadline).
- Applicants are expected to have a GPA of 3.55 or higher.
- The application is submitted online to the dean of students of the Division of the Social Sciences. (See apply-ssd.uchicago.edu/apply.)
- BA/MA applicants should not pay the application fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask how to receive the fee waiver.
- GRE scores are not required.
- Prospective BA/MA students are expected to complete all of their general education requirements and all but three of their BA requirements before they begin the BA/MA program in the Autumn Quarter of their fourth year.
- Up to three graduate courses can be used as electives in the undergraduate program or can be applied to the undergraduate major, by petition to the director of undergraduate studies.
- Students in the BA/MA program are charged tuition at graduate rates in their fourth year. They retain whatever aid has been provided in the College. In their fifth year, students are eligible for an award of one-half tuition if they achieve a 3.4 GPA over their first nine courses.
- Students may walk and receive the BA in June of their fourth year if they wish to graduate with other members of their College class.
- All other requirements for the MA degree are identical.
- It may be possible to write a single thesis to meet requirements for both the MA degree and the undergraduate major. Please check this document, and request a petition from the Student Affairs Administrator in the MA program.
- Prospective BA/MA students must meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies in their college major, filling out a form available through Lindsey Weglarz in the Dean of Students office, to confirm their eligibility for the BA/MA, to specify how many of the 9 graduate courses they would take in their first year will be double-counted to satisfy their BA requirements, and to assure that all BA requirements will be met no later than June convocation of their fourth year. That form, with the signature of the Director of Undergraduate Studies (or their designee), must be submitted as part of the BA/MA application.