Our Career Services office serves only MA students in the Social Sciences Division at UChicago (MACSS, CIR, and MAPSS). Because of this specialized, social science focus, these career services are among the only of their kind in the country.
MA students pursue an extraordinary range of careers, and our mission is to help students and alumni achieve their short-term and long-term professional goals across that range of paths. Our office supports students from day one with customized career advising and programming tailored to your personal goals.
We are experienced career advisors, and we work one-on-one with MACSS students and alumni year-round to provide personalized guidance on job searches. This includes helping you improve materials such as resumes, CVs, cover letters, and communications.
Throughout the academic year, we offer a wide array of programs, workshops, and events to support MACSS students in building their careers, including networking opportunities with alumni, lectures, mast workshops, and discussions with career guidance experts on campus.
Examples of our program offerings include:
- A monthly Career Workshop Series
- Bi-Weekly Digests and Jobs Addendums
- Alumni Career Mentors Seminars (featuring diverse career trajectories of MACSS alumni)
- Employer Information Sessions
- Exclusive access to our career management tools, like MA Connect
- Our Annual MA Career Conference
Our Career Services offices offers a custom career management tool called MA Connect, which is powered by College Central Network (CCN). This online tool is available to our students and alumni 24/7. MA Connect allows you to:
- Apply to jobs and Internship opportunities posted exclusively for our MA students and alumni
- Search other opportunities via Jobs Central®, Intern Central®, and national job boards
- Create and upload your resume and career portfolio (when required) so they are accessible to employers
- Access our advising schedule, events calendar, career/job search advice documents, mentoring and more
MA Connect also allows employers to search for talented students and alumni.
If you have questions about our career support, please don’t hesitate to contact Shelly Robinson, our Senior Director of Career Services and Professional Development.
In addition to our in-house Career Services office, MAPSS students have access to UChicagoGRAD, which offers a one-stop shop of integrated services to help graduate students across the University navigate their academic and professional careers. This includes programs focused on recruitment, skills and experience, career development, and alumni engagement.
UChicagoGRAD also offers the GRAD Gargoyle, an online portal for Career Development, powered by Symplicity. GRAD Gargoyle allows students to:
- Schedule advising appointments for help with career planning, fellowship applications, writing skills, and more
- Search for jobs, internships, and student employment opportunities
- Register for GRAD-sponsored events
Please feel free to contact Kathrin Kranz, the dedicated career advisor for graduate students in the Social Sciences Division, with questions about UChicagoGRAD’s resources.